Sunday, December 5, 2010

Holiday Fun

F32, 30 sec, ISO 100
Holiday lights bring lots of photo opportunities for the photographer.  You can do so much with lights.  In the above image I gave the lights a "glare" using a small aperture, F32.  That makes for a slow shutter speed so be sure to use a tripod.  With all the lights on the tree there is no need to hike up the ISO, keep it set small.

F22, 13 sec, ISO 100
Here I tried the "zoom effect" on my Christmas tree.   Using a slow shutter speed, you simply slowly turn the barrel of the lens until the shutter releases.  You can zoom in or out, whatever your preferrence.  I zoomed in, stopping every now and then to give this shot a rigid look.  It kind of looks like fireworks. 


F22, 45 sec, ISO 100
 I'm not sure how this one came out darker with a longer shutter speed  But I love the look.  Here I just zoomed in and out, without stopping until the shutter released.  Be sure to use a tripod to help keep your camera steady.  You can use the "zoom effect" on any non moving object.  I'll have to give it a try some time.

Christmas offers so many photo ops.  Hope you get the chance to experiment with holiday lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment